Sunday, February 5, 2012

Recovering ... but Japan still needs your help!

Today, my friend Yvonne from Ecuador sent me a link to a video segment on youtube ... http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=SS-sWdAQsYg&vq=medium and after watching it, I can only marvel at the strength, humility, dignity and resolve of the Japanese people. I felt all the pains of those weeks immediately following Japan's earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disasters of March 2011 ... and these pains came back as I watched the video. But the video ended with so much gratitude for all the help Japan received - note that many more countries gave aid and relief than those highlighted - and also with a message of hope.

Today, as the affected Tohoku (northeast) region of Japan slowly embarks on the road to recover, a lot more is needed. And the very first thing that one could do is to seriously consider taking your holiday in Japan, especially if it also includes some parts of the Tohoku region.

I toured the Tohoku region in April 2006 and had the joy of meeting one of  the most wonderful tour guide I have ever come across - Michiko-san. She hails from Sendai ... and after the quake, I tried contacting her but to no avail. I pray all the time for Michiko-san's safety and well-bring ... and hope some day to hear that she is safe.



I have thought of waiting till March 2012 to post this ... but Yvonne's e-mail and video-link just made me decide to do this now. Who knows what could happen to throw my plans to post this in March in disarray. I just have to embrace my own committment to live life now.

Gambatte Japan!!! And to those outside, don't forget that many Japanese still need your help.


No comments:

Post a Comment